Samstag, August 11, 2007

trip to the north

Yad Vashem

The afternoon in Yad Vashem was very nice. I hope to have seen everything of the area belonging to the Holocaust museum.
We started together in the childrens memorial because it was supposed to close very soon. Through mirrors it seemed as when there are thousands and thousands of candles placed, like the sky filled with stars. All the times names and ages aof killed children were read out.
More or less I nearly expected it what was coming then... In the memorial my phone rang. Didn´t know how to turn it silent and when I would have turned it off, I had no pin from Carmit to turn it back on again. So I ran out!
The only thing that made the emberassement up again was that it was Yahal who called, what I was already waiting for.

After that call some girls at the information desk could help me to figure out how it works. With nokia, I don´t need the menue in english but it was a sony.
I split up from the group and had the possibility to buy a book again as usual but this time not about the shoah and also some presents for the people from the ulpan, what I was told... The rest of the day I had a nice walk up and down the hill to find everything by myself even without a card. Needed to leave earlier to change some money for the next day.









Haifa

Thomas and me fell around 6 out of bed on friday and hoped to get the bus to Ra'anana at half past 7, but as usual we didn't make it on time to the tachanah merkasit. So we took the bus at 8. Hope to loose this habbit of coming late all the time when I go back home.
Dov picked us up from the bus station and on the way we found Radi waiting on the street for us and all together drove to Haifa.
An hour or something later we were at the university to get Cosima and had to hurry to see something from the city before most of it closed for shabbath.

I had to throw a towel over my shoulders because I forgot my scarve when we went to the gardens of Bahrain, a religious group, I haven't heard of before. They didn't want to let me into the shrine and decided the towel is not apropriate, but the gardens were awesome. Would have never expected the view up the Karmel.
Seen the german colony and Dov wanted to convince us again that it is typical german architecture. Cosima and me just looked at each other "Haven't seen this in germany at all" and smiled.
We became hungry and wanted to go to the beach anyway where we sat down at the promenade to eat something. I had okra and still cann't say what kind of vegetable it was. So we went into the sea with filled belly what my parents would have never allowed me ;-P. Swimming was impossible because of the bis waves, which sometimes threw the people back close to the beach, and the underwater steam.

In the afternoon as everywhere alomost everything had closed already for the weekend but Yahal gave us the tip of an arabian market in Dahlia el Karmil close to Haifa with a huge druse community. They have all the same last name, because they are all related. We figured that out when Radi was asking at the gas station for a guy he hasn't seen for years. Anyway we did a little shopping which is really cheap there and even met Yahal for some coffee. He is living somewhere around there.
He surprised me in a shop and I was scared to death, because I thought it was the owner and wanted to ask for the price. Even Cosima said she wouldn't have noticed it was him after he had his hair cut. I was happy to see him...

Later we brought Cosima back and drove to Tel Aviv where Thomas and me stayed at Carmits place. All of us have been really tired so we decided not to got into a club but pub instead. Our way back we made on the promenade and fell asleep in front of the TV. After breakfast in the cafe around the corner Dov picked us up again we we drove back to Jerusalem. Hard but great day.
Noticed that I started thinking to much again!!!